Shalu Gupta wrote:

Hello,

We are trying to import the TPC-H data into postgresql using the COPY
command and for the larger files we get an error due to insufficient
memory space.

We are using a linux system with Postgresql-7.3.4

Is it that Postgresql cannot handle such large files or is there some
other possible reason.

Thanks
Shalu Gupta
NC State University.

Shalu,

I loaded the largest TPC-H table (lineitem, roughly 6 million rows) the other day into a completely untuned 7.5devel PostgreSQL instance running on RH 9, and it didn't raise a sweat. I delayed creating the indexes until after the load. Data load took roughly 10 minutes, index creation took a further 35 minutes (there are 13 of them).

HTH. (I'm just down the road from NCSU, would be happy to help out)

cheers

andrew