We've (well, mainly John) have been trying to track down a *very*
elusive bug in the thread timeout code the clears idle search threads
from the pool. On odd occasions it can shutdown all listening threads
hence the 'cannot connect' message. Unfortunately, it often runs for a
few weeks before dying. If anyone wants to look over the code (C++) to
see what we missed they'd be more than welcome. Just let me know.

In this case though, that wasn't the problem and unfortunately I had to
wait for Marc to wake up before I could do anything further with it.
Should be OK now though :-)

Regards, Dave.

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster