Just because it is not new does not mean that it is good.

When this new behavior was introduced, and I migrated our databases to the new PgSQL version (dump/restore), the locale of all my databases were silently changed from C to US_en. This broke one application in a very subtle way because of slightly different sort behavior in the different locale. Tracking it down was quite tricky.

PgSQL was just a little too helpful in this case.

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Is it me or has the default locale of created databases change at some point?

Currently, on Linux, if one does not specify a locale, the locale is taken
from the system environment and it is not "C."

While I can both sides of a discussion, I think that choosing a "locale"
without one being specified is a bad idea, even if it is the locale of the
machine. The reason why it is a bad idea is that certain features of the
database which only work correctly with a locale of "C" will not work by
default.

This is not new behaviour.

(Why are you the only person who posts here who is nameless?)

cheers

andrew

--
      __