Tom Lane wrote:

Andreas Pflug <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

What if there's no file access

If you don't have any access to the machine then you are not really a
DBA, you only play one on TV.

However you may call me, I can think of many cases where I'd like to look at the server log, without wanting to change the configuration or start/stop the postmaster. The error message sent to the application might be lost, or an interference with another app might have caused troubles, so a collected log is fine for such cases, preferrably displayed by the same tool I'm tuning my queries with.

What you're telling me is that people should have a telnet session to the linux box and tail /usr/data/pgsql/serverlog, while they're working with comfortable gui tools otherwise. Sound dissatisfying.

The rhdb control center seems fine for a sysadmin-dbadmin who's going to install and reconfigure a machine, but I certainly don't want this for SQL centric work. And a Java GUI is a bad idea on win32 either...

Regards,
Andreas