Tom Lane wrote:
Joe Conway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
Maybe specify an archive location (that of course could be on a separate partition) that the external archiver should check in addition to the normal WAL location. At some predetermined interval, push WAL log segments no longer needed to the archive location.

Does that really help? The panic happens when you fill the "normal" and "archive" partitions, how's that different from one partition?

I see your point. But it would allow you to use a relatively modest local partition for WAL segments, while you might be using a 1TB netapp tray over NFS for the archive segments. I guess if the archive partition fills up, I would err on the side of dropping archive segments on the floor. That would mean a new full backup would be needed, but at least it wouldn't result in a corrupt, or shut down, database.

Joe

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map settings