Simon Riggs wrote:
On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 22:46, Tom Lane wrote:

Simon Riggs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Should we use a different datatype than time_t for the commit timestamp,
one that offers more fine grained differentiation between checkpoints?

Pretty much everybody supports gettimeofday() (time_t and separate integer microseconds); you might as well use that. Note that the actual resolution is not necessarily microseconds, and it'd still not be certain that successive commits have distinct timestamps --- so maybe this refinement would be pointless. You'll still have to design a user interface that allows selection without the assumption of distinct timestamps.

Well, I agree, though without the desired-for UI now, I think some finer
grained mechanism would be good. This means extending the xlog commit
record by a couple of bytes...OK, lets live a little.

At the risk of irritating people, I'll repeat what I suggested a few weeks ago...

Add a table: pg_pitr_checkpt (pitr_id SERIAL, pitr_ts timestamptz, pitr_comment text)
Let the user insert rows in transactions as desired. Let them stop the restore when a specific (pitr_ts,pitr_comment) gets inserted (or on pitr_id if they record it).

IMHO time is seldom relevant, event boundaries are.

If you want to add special syntax for this, fine. If not, an INSERT statement is a convenient way to do this anyway.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

     joining column's datatypes do not match