On Sat, Jul 03, 2004 at 11:03:33AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> than begin/commit for subxacts?  What about savepoints?)  Also, what about
> exposing this functionality in plpgsql?  Seems like we need some kind of
> exception handling syntax to make this useful.  What does Oracle do?

Oracle uses savepoints:

        SAVEPOINT savepointname;

creates a savepoint or shifts existing savepoint of the same name;

        ROLLBACK TO savepointname;

rolls back to savepoint (more verbose syntax also available);

The syntax of handling exceptions is (in PL/SQL):

        BEGIN
                some code, for example a bunch of SQL commands;
        EXCEPTION
                WHEN nameofexception THEN
                        handle the exception, maybe ROLLBACK;
        END;

There are predefined exceptions like INVALID_NUMBER, NO_DATA_FOUND,
ZERO_DIVIDE, or OTHERS.

 Honza Pazdziora | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://www.fi.muni.cz/~adelton/
 .project: Perl, mod_perl, DBI, Oracle, large Web systems, XML/XSL, ...
                Only self-confident people can be simple.