I have been doing some re-testing with CVS HEAD from about 1 hour ago using the simplified example posted previously.

It is quite interesting:

i) create the table as:

CREATE TABLE test0 (filler  TEXT);

and COPY 100 000 rows on length 109, then recovery succeeds.

ii) create the table as:

CREATE TABLE test0 (filler    VARCHAR(120));

and COPY as above, then recovery *fails* with the the signal 6 error below.

LOG: database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in progress
LOG: redo starts at 0/A4807C
LOG: record with zero length at 0/FFFFE0
LOG: redo done at 0/FFFF30
LOG: restored log file "0000000000000000" from archive
LOG: archive recovery complete
PANIC: concurrent transaction log activity while database system is shutting down
LOG: startup process (PID 17546) was terminated by signal 6
LOG: aborting startup due to startup process failure

(I am pretty sure both TEXT and VARCHAR(120) failed using the original patch)

Any suggestions for the best way to dig a bit deeper?

regards

Mark

     joining column's datatypes do not match