Tom Lane wrote:

"Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I think you should first trace down what the problem really is --- is
your system just misconfigured or is there some fundamental issue that
we really ought to answer to?

The trouble on AIX is, that getaddrinfo only does a nameservice lookup,
no /etc/hosts.

Wouldn't that break many other programs besides Postgres?

Maybe not many use getaddrinfo()

But in any
case if your nameserver doesn't resolve localhost, I'd say you'd better
fix your nameserver.  See eg, http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2606.html

The ".localhost" TLD has traditionally been statically defined in
host DNS implementations as having an A record pointing to the
loop back IP address and is reserved for such use. Any other use
would conflict with widely deployed code which assumes this use.

If localhost isn't being resolved correctly are you seeing error messages like this on the server log (from pqcomm.c)?

  "could not translate host name \"%s\", service \"%s\" to address: %s"

Of course, using -i or -h "*" on the postmaster would inhibit that, but you would expect it in the default setup if localhost resolution fails.

cheers

andrew

     joining column's datatypes do not match