Philip Warner wrote:

At 01:07 PM 12/08/2004, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

\ is not magical inside dollar quotes,

Sorry, I was confused by the manual: the paragraph that starts "C-style backslash escapes are also available..." is right after the paragraphs on dollar-quoting.

The section on dollar-quoting is also not explicit about valid tags, "zero or more characters" is all I can see. Can you give me a definitive answer as to what is valid? AFAICT, must be [A-Z,a-z,0-9,_]*, with non-numeric start. Is that right?

Don't forget the high-bit chars too. pgsqlscan.l says:

dolq_start      [A-Za-z\200-\377_]
dolq_cont       [A-Za-z\200-\377_0-9]
dolqdelim       \$({dolq_start}{dolq_cont}*)?\$

The scanner files for plpgsql and the backend have equivalent specs, so this is definitive.

cheers

andrew