Kind people,

I've brought this up before, and with Dennis Bjőrklund's help, would
like to bring it up again.  Here's the idea:

I'd like to be able to create functions with named parameters that
could be called with the names in any order.  For example,

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION foo_func(name TEXT, val INTEGER) AS ...

SELECT foo_func(val AS 23, name AS 'Name goes here');

and have it Do The Right Thing.

Dennis has pointed out that mixing the call-with-named-parameter
interface with call-by-order-of-parameters one would cause confusion,
and I think it would be OK to disallow this type mixing, so

SELECT foo_func(name AS 'yet another name', 35);

would be disallowed.

A calling convention that names parameters makes it a lot easier to
track just exactly what parameter is set to which value, and lets
people not have to memorize what order those named parameters appear
in.  On a related note, it would also be nice to have default
parameters and some way to say to use them.

Well, that's my thoughts so far.  What are yours?

Cheers,
David Fetter [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend