Things definately do not like to be run from within "bin". I added /home/pramsey/pgtest/8.0/bin to my PATH and then ran everything without a direct path reference:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] 8.0]$ pg_ctl start -D /home/pramsey/pgtest/8.0/data
postmaster starting
LOG:  database system was shut down at 2004-08-18 22:00:32 PDT
LOG:  checkpoint record is at 0/B2797C
LOG:  redo record is at 0/B2797C; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
LOG:  next transaction ID: 628; next OID: 17263
LOG:  database system is ready

[EMAIL PROTECTED] 8.0]$ createdb test
CREATE DATABASE
[EMAIL PROTECTED] 8.0]$ createlang plpgsql test
[EMAIL PROTECTED] 8.0]$

Magically, everything now works :)

Tom Lane wrote:
Paul Ramsey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

... It is the actual binaries that seem to not know where $libdir is supposed to be.

Where do they think it is?

A useful way to check would be to strace the backend while you're
executing "createlang" or another command that tries to load a
dynamic library.  The file names that it tries to stat() would be
good evidence.

Also, how are you starting the postmaster?  I believe that current
sources will try to locate $libdir via a relative path from where
the postmaster executable is.  We've fixed some bugs in that area
recently, but maybe there are more.

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend