So what is the thinking of HACKERS?

Does it make sense to include nothing and rather allow each distribution to support its own?

Or should each distribution known to support postgres be invited to submit the relevant script for inclusion? And, if so, should this be a HACKERS [or other appropriate group/individual]-led effort?

I'm persisting just because no conclusive action was recommended, and I think this is a mildly important usability issue. I don't know whether altering this piece of contrib is something that would be relevant for 8.0...

-tfo