In general we expect the filesystem to take care of its own metadata.
Run ext3 in journaling mode, or something like that.

(It occurs to me that the admin guide really ought to have a few words
about recommended and non-recommended filesystems ...)

Well I am not their admin, but I don't suggest any of the ext systems.
Although ext3 is reasonably stable it is very slow.

Stick with XFS, JFS or even Reiser.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

+1-503-667-4564 - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.commandprompt.com

begin:vcard
fn:Joshua Drake
n:Drake;Joshua
org:Command Prompt, Inc.
adr:;;PO Box 215 ;Cascade Locks;OR;97014;US
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Consultant
tel;work:503-667-4564
tel;fax:503-210-0334