I was thinking that even mildly experienced folks could benefit from a helpful sanity check. Typically the need to recover a system never comes at a good time, and features that help prevent silly mistakes are a great stress saver.

As an aside, while testing recovery during pre beta, I think I probably "forgot" to put in a recovery.conf about 1 time in 10. Now I was using a small database cluster tar'ed up in /tmp, so no big deal, but if it had been a 100G beast that had to come off tape ....

regards

Mark

Tom Lane wrote:

I can't get very excited about this approach, because it only protects those people who (a) use pg_ctl to start the postmaster (not everyone) and (b) carefully follow the recovery directions (which the people you are worried about are very bad at, by hypothesis).