What exactly does pgmemcache do?

It's the PostgreSQL interface to memcached(8). See http://www.danga.com/memcached/ for more details.

I am guessing it has to do with PostgreSQL, Memory, and Caching, but the
readme listed below only talks about how to install it -- not what it
does.

:) Sorry, pgmemcache is probably only of use to those who know what memcached(8) does. That said, I invite you to read the below presentation or look into memcached(8). I'll get to writing what pgmemcache can do sometime this weekend.

When I tried to fetch this document, I get "Document not found":
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~seanc/pgmemcache/pgmemcache.pdf

Fixed. Thanks for pointing that out. -sc

--
Sean Chittenden