Tom Lane wrote:
Joe Conway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I've got a down production server (will not restart) with the following tail to its log file:

Please show the output of pg_controldata, or a hex dump of pg_control if pg_controldata fails.

OK, will do shortly.

The server experienced a hang (as yet unexplained) yesterday and was restarted at 2004-12-13 16:38:49 according to syslog. I'm told by the network admin that there was a problem with the network card on restart, so the nfs mount most probably disappeared and then reappeared underneath a quiescent postgresql at some point between 2004-12-13 16:39:55 and 2004-12-14 15:36:20 (but much closer to the former than the latter).

I've always felt that running a database across NFS was a Bad Idea ;-)

Yeah, I knew I had that coming :-)

Any help would be much appreciated. Is our only option pg_resetxlog?

Possibly, but let's try to dig first. I suppose the DB is too large to save an image aside for forensics later?

Actually, although the database is about 400 GB, we do have room and are in the process of saving an image now.

Joe

http://archives.postgresql.org