Tom Lane wrote:
Yes, override everything there's a switch for.  Also check that the
other values shown by pg_controldata look reasonable (the locale
settings are probably the only ones you might get burned on).

What if anything have you got in $PGDATA/pg_xlog?

-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 16777216 Dec 13 15:39 0000016500000077

Um. That's so far from the values shown in pg_control that it's not funny.

This is 7.4, right?  I have a crude xlog dump tool that I'll send you
off-list.  We should be able to identify the latest checkpoint in the
existing XLOG files, and that will give you something to work with.

Just wanted to close the loop for the sake of the list archives. With Tom's xlog dump tool I was able (with a bunch of his help off-list) to identify the needed parameters for pg_resetxlog. Running pg_resetxlog got us back a running database. We're now involved in checking the data.

Thank you to everyone for your help -- especially Tom!

Joe

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend