Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw when [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Travis P) would
write:
> Now, on my AIX 5.1 system, /usr/bin/ cc and cc_r are both just
> symlinks back to /usr/vac/bin/xlc.  The different program names just
> invoke the different settings.  Brad:  can you make such a symlink and
> compile with that?, for example:
> /home/u/brad/cc_r -> /usr/bin/xlc
> ./configure CC=/home/u/brad/cc_r ....

That would require that xlc be installed.  Neither cc, cc_r, xlc, nor
xlcc (or maybe it was xlcpp?) are available on the systems Brad and I
are using, so that symlink will not work.

As a result, _none_ of these may be remotely considered to be
"universal answers" on AIX.

In effect, there are two models for compiling PostgreSQL on AIX:

 a) Using the VisualAge C family of compilers, that get named xlc, cc,
    and cc_r, and

 b) Using GCC, which means the compiler is called "gcc," and which
    means that xlc, cc, and cc_r should not be considered as
    candidates for command lines.

Introducing threading doesn't somehow make "cc_r" available for those
of us using GCC.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.gultn" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/unix.html