in this list there is some discussion about adding
support locale per column.
as far as I know the final result was that:
because postgresql uses glibc locale functions, and
because glibc only handle one locale, postgresql also
suppor only one locale at the same time.

one solution was that use some help functions (such as
nls_sort, or strxfrm...) and use setlocale to support
other locale.

the main problem with these solutions was that
1. it is not standart
2. the overhead of setlocale is too high

as far as I investigate the glibc code, I found some
extention function such as strcol_l and strxfrm_l that
let you to pass locale to them. so you dont have to
change locale repeatedly.

I want to know the groups idea?

Best Regards