Tom Lane wrote:

Isn't this fix in the wrong place?

        * src/bin/psql/startup.c: >>Also, what is the default connection
        mode of psql? It should probably be
        >>equivalent to "-h localhost", shouldn't it?
        >>

        >Now that is something I had not thought of.  Seems we can assume a
        Win32
        >psql can never use unix domain sockets, so defaulting that to
        localhost
        >is a good solution too.

        Andrew Dunstan

ISTM that libpq itself ought to default to localhost, rather than failing, on machines that don't have Unix sockets.

So then it would be picked up by pg_dump, createdb etc., plus third party clients? Not a bad idea. Are you going to fix it for 8.0?

cheers

andrew

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend