Bruno Wolff III wrote:

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 14:09:07 -0700,
 "Jonah H. Harris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Please keep stuff posted to the list so that other people can contribute
and learn from the discussion unless there is a particular reason to
limited who is involved in the discussion.

not a problem.

Perhaps you think that the count is somehow saved in the index so that
you don't have to scan through the whole index to get the number of
rows in a table? That isn't the case, but is what creating a materialized
view would effectively do for you.

I understand that the count is not stored in the index. I am saying that it may be faster to generate the count off the keys in the index.

I shouldn't have titled this message COUNT(*) as that isn't the only thing I'm trying to accomplish.