However, I don't want to be beholden to IBM indefinitely --- in five
years their corporate strategy might change.  I think that a reasonable
response to this is to plan to get rid of ARC, or at least modify the
code enough to avoid the patent, in time for 8.1.  (It's entirely likely
that that will happen before the patent issues, anyway.)

regards, tom lane

IBM makes 20% of their money from licensing patents.

That alone makes this whole conversation scare the hell out of
me.

We should be as proactive as possible with this and remove
the code (or modify as required).

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

+1-503-667-4564 - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.commandprompt.com

begin:vcard
fn:Joshua Drake
n:Drake;Joshua
org:Command Prompt, Inc.
adr:;;PO Box 215 ;Cascade Locks;OR;97014;US
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Consultant
tel;work:503-667-4564
tel;fax:503-210-0334