On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 02:31:40 +0200, Hannu Krosing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>2) Another simple, but nondeterministic, hack would be using randomness,
>i.e.
>
>  2.1) select a random buffer in LR side half (or 30% or 60%) of
>       for replacement.
>
>  2.2) dont last accessed pages to top of LRU list immediately,
>       just push them uphill some amount, either random, or
>       perhaps 1/2 the way to top at each access.

Sounds good, but how do find the middle of a linked list?  Or the other
way round:  Given a list element, how do you find out its position in a
linked list?  So the only approach that is easily implementable is

2.3) If a sequential scan hint flag is set, put the buffer into the
     free list at a random position.

Servus
 Manfred

               http://archives.postgresql.org