On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

"Marc G. Fournier" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
If the patch is ready to be committed early in the cycle, I'd say most
definitely ... just depends on how late in the cycle its ready ...

My recollection is that it's quite far from being complete. I had hoped to spend some time during the 8.1 cycle helping Heikki finish it up, but if we stick to the 2-month-dev-cycle idea I'm afraid there's no way it'll be done in time. I thought that "some time" would probably amount to a solid man-month or so, and there's no way I can spend half my time on just one feature for this cycle.

If Heikki wants this in for 8.1, the right thing to do is vote against
the short-dev-cycle idea.  But we need a plausible answer about what to
do about ARC to make that credible...

I'm not sure what I want.

If the 8.1 cycle really is a short one, say 3 months, then I have no problem waiting for 8.2. But we have a very bad track record regarding short-dev-cycles. I honestly don't believe we can get 8.1 released before July.

- Heikki

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend