And most databases get a mix of updates and selects. I would expect it would
be pretty hard to go that long with any significant level of update activity
and no vacuums and not notice the performance problems from the dead tuples.

I think the people who've managed to shoot themselves in the foot this
way are those who decided to "optimize" their cron jobs to only vacuum
their user tables, and forgot about the system catalogs.

That's certainly the case with one of the people we helped in IRC - 3 user tables only being vacuumed.

Chris

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster