Tom Lane wrote:

Thomas Hallgren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

My question is, what happens when the evaluator doesn't need more rows? Will it:
a) call the function with call_cntr >= max_calls?
b) continue calling until the set is exhausted anyway?
c) simply stop calling?

(c)

a) seems unlikely since max_calls is set by the user, b) doesn't seem very optimal, and c) would be very bad since it doesn't give me any chance to release the resources that where used in order to produce the rows.

This is what RegisterExprContextCallback is for.

regards, tom lane

Thanks Tom,
This is exactly what I need. I didn't know that such a callback existed. Perhaps it should be mentioned in the documentation chapter that talks about SETOF and C-functions?

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren