Bruce Momjian wrote:

Patch applied.  Thanks.

I assume this is not approprate for 8.0.X.

Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Magnus prepared a trivial patch which added the O_SYNC flag
> for windows and mapped it to FILE_FLAG_WRITE_THROUGH in
> win32_open.c.

Attached is this trivial patch. As Merlin says, it needs some more
reliability testing. But the numbers are at least reasonable - it
*seems* like it's doing the right thing (as long as you turn off write
cache). And it's certainly a significant performance increase - it
brings the speed almost up to the same as linux.

The original patch did not have any documentation. Have you added some? Since this has to be configured in GUC (wal_sync_method), the implications should be documented somewhere, no?

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq