[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> That is hardly anything that I would feel comfortable with. Lets break
> this down into all the areas that are ambiguous:

There isn't anything ambiguous about this, nor is it credible that there
are implementations that don't follow the intent of the spec.  Consider
the standard paradigm for replacing stdout: you close(1) and then open()
the target file.  If the open() doesn't pick 1 as the fd, you're screwed.
Every shell in the world would break atop such an implementation.

It may well be the case that saving 4 bytes per VFD is useless
micro-optimization.   But the code isn't broken as it stands.

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend