This may be totally irrelevant:

Our current load distributors, like pgpool, have no way of knowing the
side effects of backend functions. It would be interesting if the
client could send each potential query to the master saying, "execute
this query if there are side effects, otherwise do no operation and
and let me execute this read-only query on a replicated copy."

You can go 'SET TRANSACTION READ ONLY;' or something...

Chris