* Reduces the total amount of time the system spends vacuuming since it only vacuums when needed.

Can be easily done with cron.

* Keeps stats up-to-date automatically

Which can be done with cron

* Eliminates newbie confusion

RTFM

* Eliminates one of the criticisms that the public has against PostgreSQL (justifed or not)

Agreed.

I few weeks ago I have set up a database with more than 1.800 tables (some complex business thing). inventing a clever cron-vacuum strategy is almost impossible (or at least very painful). there should be a mechanism (fortunately there is pg_autovacuum) to make this a bit more practical.

in case of small databases this is not an issue.
small is always simple. complex and large are the major challenges.

        best regards,

                hans

--
Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig
Schoengrabern 134, A-2020 Hollabrunn, Austria

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend