On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 09:37:23AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> ITAGAKI Takahiro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > ... So I'll post the new results:
>
> > checkpoint_ | writeback |
> > segments    | cache     | open_sync | fsync=false   | O_DIRECT only |
> > fsync_direct  | open_direct
> > ------------+-----------+-----------+---------------+---------------+---------------+--------------
> > [3]   3     | off       |  38.2 tps | 138.8(+263.5%)|  38.6(+ 1.2%) |
> > 38.5(+ 0.9%) |  38.5(+ 0.9%)
>
> Yeah, this is about what I was afraid of: if you're actually fsyncing
> then you get at best one commit per disk revolution, and the negotiation
> with the OS is down in the noise.
>
> At this point I'm inclined to reject the patch on the grounds that it
> adds complexity and portability issues, without actually buying any
> useful performance improvement.  The write-cache-on numbers are not
> going to be interesting to any serious user :-(

Is there anyone with a battery-backed RAID controller that could run
these tests? I suspect that in that case the differences might be closer
to 1 or 2 rather than 3, which would make the patch much more valuable.

Josh, is this something that could be done in the performance lab?
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant               [EMAIL PROTECTED]