Neil Conway wrote:
I agree the current parser is a hack, but it's difficult to see how
else it could be implemented.

Since the lexical structure of SQL/PSM seems to be about the same as the main SQL, maybe you could get away with having the main parser just accepting any tokens at the point where the function body belongs and make it count BEGIN's and END's or whatever nesting elements there might be.

Which then would require that SPI gets another interface added that allows to feed in a token sequence instead of a query string.

After thinking more about what I wrote yesterday I noticed that we would lose the potential for query plan recompilation after system cache invalidation if we do not keep the queries inside of a PL function in some sort of source code (lexer tokens still are).

Jan