I thought bout it, but it isn't the best program around, but it does work.
My program also reformats numbers, i.e. long/lat become properly
decimal-ed numerics, zips become integers, etc.

The question is...

Do you download the raw data and convert it into a database, or do you
download the pre-formatted database?

I would say the preformated database is easier to manage. There are
hundreds of individual zips files, in each of those files 10 or so data
files.

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq