On Thu, 25 Aug 2005, Jim C. Nasby wrote:

On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 09:26:25PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
So I take it the bottleneck is the box running the mailing list?

Usually that, or av.hub.org which does the centralised anti virus/anti
spam (iirc).

Does it scan every single incomming email? It might make more sense to
have the mailing list software first validate that the email is from a
valid subscriber.

I have just about every anti- filter that I can find enabled on postfix itself, but its postfix itself that does the content filtering, not the mailing list software ... so thet anti-virus is hit before the mailing list software even sees it ... we also have spamassassin running, and filters in place to reject any messages that trigger that ...

As a couple of ppl have found out by becoming 'moderators' for the mailing lists, there are *alot* of messages through the server that aren't list subscribers, but are legit emails ...

The process for email right now is:

scan for virus -> analyze/tag for spam -> pass to majordomo

majordomo then checks the spam tags and disregards based on a set of rules, and what is left either has to wait for moderator approval/reject *or* send onto the list, depending on if someone is subscribed or not ...

If y'all would like, I can eliminate the anti-virus/anti-spam checks and just let it all go through though ... *evil grin*

----
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

              http://archives.postgresql.org