On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 11:12:26AM +0300, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> Maybe make the last one "WITH CHARACTER SET xxx" and promote WITH to a
> real keyword.
>
> It seems a good idea to have WITH as a real keyword anyway, as at least
> ANSI/ISO syntax for recursive queries seem to require it too.

Sorry, CHARACTER SET is defined by SQL standard. I don't understand
what it is there for though, I thought the point of UNICODE/UTF-8 was
to get rid of all this crap. I also can't find the bit that explains
what should happen if two strings of different character sets are
concatinated. The only thing I can think this useful for is default
input/output charset, overriding client_encoding, and internally
everything is still UNICODE.

The COLLATE stuff is neat, if we can get it work. Maybe CHARSET is a
roundabout way to specify the COLLATE order?

Incidently, I just downloaded the SQL99 spec and am slightly confused
by some of the things they'd added. Am I the only one?