Jim C. Nasby wrote:

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 03:43:17AM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
What I would like to see is that initdb would end with saying that the system is not really tuned and that I should run pg-some-program to improve that. pg-some-program would analyze my system, ask me a few questions, and then output a suggested configuration (or apply it right away). Again, the challenge is to write that program.

FYI, http://pgfoundry.org/projects/configurator/

Jim,

it's been referred to several times in this debate.

It might do what Peter wants, but for reasons already explained I don't see it as a substitute for getting initdb to generate more realistic settings.

cheers

andrew

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster