"Michael Paesold" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> It seems to me the slock-no-cmpb is a win in any case. The spin-delay patch
> does not really help much on this machine. That seems to match Stephen
> Frost's results with EM64T, if I read them correctly.

Yeah, it's interesting that you both see slock-no-cmpb as saving some
cycles and the second patch as giving them back.  I wonder whether the
integer-modulo-to-slow-the-loop trick is counterproductive on your
machines.  You both seem to be using hardware that will recognize
rep;nop and maybe that's all that's needed.

I probably should have broken down the spindelay patch into multiple
components.  But it's only a small change --- could you try simplifying
the patched line

                if ((--spins % MAX_SPINS_PER_DELAY) == 0)

                if (--spins == 0)

and see how the patch does that way?

               http://archives.postgresql.org