Tom Lane wrote:
To my mind the main rationale for continuing to support 7.2 is that it
was the last pre-schema release, and so people whose apps haven't yet
been fixed to cope with schemas will be on their own once we drop it.
While each release has some portability gotchas, I don't think there
have been any quite that big since then.  If we drop support for 7.2,
it wouldn't be out of the question for us to drop 7.3 and 7.4 too (at
least not from where I sit ... I'm sure some will differ).

Yes. For one of our application that makes massive use of triggers the transition from 7.2 to 7.3 was less painful than 7.4 to 8.0. Many of the triggers were written with the assumption that foreign key checks were effectively delayed until the end of the calling statement.

Just another opinion. Nevertheless if it's feasible to support 7.4 for a while, I would recommend it. Also from a marketing statepoint -- having back branches supported for a visible amount of time increases people's confident in PostgreSQL and it's stability.

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend