On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 19:13 +0200, Hans-Jürgen Schönig wrote:
> i had to deal with oracle in the past couple of days (*mega sigh*)
> i have seen a very interesting feature which would make sense for
> PostgreSQL users.
>
> currently we have:
>
> test=# \h PREPARE TRANSACTION
> Command:     PREPARE TRANSACTION
> Syntax:
> PREPARE TRANSACTION transaction_id
>
> in oracle it is possible to comment transactions:
>
> COMMIT COMMENT 'ORA-2PC-CRASH-TEST-n';
>
> if we added the possibility to comment prepared transactions it would be
> far easier for DBAs to find out what to do with prepared transactions
> once something has gone wrong (at least if an application adds some
> useful data to the comment). usually when the DBA has to fix something
> it has to be done FAST - some additional info would definitely help here ...
>
> what do people think about this?

I like it. It allows fairly easy definition of which exact transaction
you recover to when using PITR.

For 2PC, the difficulty might be to match up the name used on one
resource manager with that used on another. So we should look at how
other resource managers implement that so a match is more easily
possible.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs

       match