Tom Lane wrote:

As against that, changing them back now might just confuse matters even
more.  And I tend to agree with Neil's judgment that the new definitions
are cleaner in themselves.

When talking about cleanliness of the definition, a name like "pg_stat_file" seems quite unfortunate since in the presence of many pg_stat_* statistics functions it sounds like a function dealing with statistics files. The pg_*_file names were actually not discussed exhaustively, originally posted as pg_file_*.

Taking from this, a clean naming convention would require pg_backend_cancel (and pg_file_stat), extending this beta2->beta3 changes even more but leaving backward compatibility if the int pg_cancel_backend isn't replaced, but accompanied by a clean bool version.

As Dave already pointed out, pgAdmin isn't affected itself, since we need some additional functions anyway to remain 8.0 compatibility.

Regards,
Andreas