Given this part of that same rule applied to the strings:
"b) If the length in characters of X is not equal to the length in
characters of Y, then the shorter string is effectively replaced, for
the purposes of comparison, with a copy of itself that has been extended
to the length of the longer string by concatenation on the right of one
or more pad characters, where the pad character is chosen based on CS.
If CS has the NO PAD characteristic, then the pad character is an
implementation-dependent character different from any character in the
character set of X and Y that collates less than any string under CS.
Otherwise, the pad character is a <space>."

I do not see how two strings which are otherwise equal (except for
length or blank padding) can possibly compare unequal unless the NO PAD
property is applied and the implementation defined pad character is also
something other than a <space>.  Is that the case for PostgreSQL?  Even
if it is, is seems truly bizarre that the NO PAD attribute would be
applied to string constants.

pgsql-
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]; pgsql-general@postgresql.org
> Subject: RE: [pgsql-advocacy] [GENERAL] Oracle buys Innobase
>
> On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, Dann Corbit wrote:

PAD
> >> collating sequence not allowed here?
> >
> > If the implementation defines constants as NO PAD and the
implementation
> > defined pad character is something other than space, then they could
> > compare unequal.
> >
> > I would find that implementation disturbing.  But I am easily bent
out
> > of shape.
> >
> > The attached HTML file in my earlier post is the official quote from
the
> > SQL 99 standard.  That is the formal and correct definition, far
> > superior to my off the cuff approximations.
>
> 'k, if I'm reading the right section (you say its bolded, but I'm
using
> pine which doesn't seem to do a good job of reading HTML):
>
> ===========
> d) Depending on the collating sequence, two strings may compare as
> equal even if they are of different lengths or contain different
> sequences of characters. When any of the operations MAX, MIN, and
> DISTINCT reference a grouping column, and the UNION, EXCEPT, and
> INTERSECT operators refer to character strings, the specific value
> selected by these operations from a set of such equal values is
> implementation-dependent.
>
> I think the key part of that 'clause' is "two strings *may* compare as
> equal" ... sounds implementation dependent to me, depending on how the
> implementor interprets it ... or am I reading the wrong section?
>
> ----
> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services
> (http://www.hub.org)
> Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ:
> 7615664

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend