On 10/20/2005 2:17 AM, Greg Stark wrote:

(I can't believe anyone really wants varchar to be space padded. Space padding
always seemed like a legacy feature for databases with fixed record length
data types. Why would anyone want a string data type that can't represent all
strings?)

They must have buried that "bow to COBOL" so deep in the code that they had no choice but to abuse their power and stuff this cruft into the standard.

Jan