On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 02:26:31PM +1000, Gavin Sherry wrote:
> Have spoken with Jim on IRC, he says that there have been several crashes
> recently due to a faulty disk array. I guess the zeroing could be an
> outcome of the faulty disk. I wonder if the crash the faulty disk resulted
> in could have been caused some where around mdextend() where we create a
> zero'd page but before we could have written out the initialised page.

Just to clarify, there's no evidence that the array is faulty. I do know
that they were using write-back with a non-battery-backed cache though.

What has been happening is periodic random crashes, around 1 a week. I
now have a good core for one, as well as an assert:

TRAP: FailedAssertion("!(shared->page_number[slotno] == pageno &&
shared->page_status[slotno] == SLRU_PAGE_READ_IN_PROGRESS)", File:
"slru.c", Line: 308)

I haven't looked at that code yet, so I have no idea what that actually
means. Let me know what info y'all would like to see out of the core.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq