Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
I've noticed that sometimes EXPLAIN ANALYZE is much slower than the plain query. After investigating I found that it happens when using MIN or MAX aggregates.

It seems that the plan outputted is not the optimized one (available since 8.1) that is really used when running the plain query.

It may also be that the overhead of calling gettimeofday() several
times per tuple is blowing the time out. What platform is this?

FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE on an HP DL380 G4.

I've also tried to do the same on another machine which has 8.0.3 and FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE-p3: times for the same query are 15s vs 63s with EXPLAIN ANALYZE. Of course I know 8.0 doesn't optimize min/max the same way 8.1 does.

Hope this helps.

Best regards
--
Matteo Beccati