Csaba Nagy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> OK, in this case I don't care about either MERGE or REPLACE, but for an
> UPSERT which does the locking :-)

This is exactly the point --- pretty much nobody has come to us and
asked for a feature that does what Peter and Martijn say MERGE does.
(I haven't bothered to look at the 2003 spec, I'm assuming they read it
correctly.)  What we *have* been asked for, over and over, is an
insert-or-update feature that's not so tedious and inefficient as the
savepoint-insert-rollback-update kluge.  That's what we ought to be
concentrating on providing.

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq