On Nov 21, 2005, at 1:59 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

Bob Ippolito <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
The attributes look like the names of all the columns in the table,
and reindexing didn't help.

So at this point it seems that the pg_class row disappeared, but there
probably wasn't any actual DROP operation --- you'd think at least some
of those other entries would have been deleted by a DROP.

My next guess is that the pg_class row simply got clobbered somehow,
eg its xmin field got set to something ridiculous.  The only way I can
think of to investigate that is to dump out the contents of pg_class
with pg_filedump --- are you game for that?  If so, get the right
version of pg_filedump from
http://sources.redhat.com/rhdb/utilities.html
and run it with the -i -f options (usually produces the most helpful
output, in my experience).

This is 8.1.0, can I use pg_dump 4.0 with that? The entire database is 39GB, there's a way to just get pg_class, right?

-bob

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster