Dave Page wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Marc G. Fournier
Sent: 01 December 2005 17:01
To: Peter Eisentraut
Cc: pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org; Euler Taveira de Oliveira; Richard Huxton; Robert Treat; Magnus Hagander; Marc G. Fournier; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Tom Lane; Andrew Dunstan
Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] [HACKERS] Upcoming PG re-releases

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

Am Donnerstag, 1. Dezember 2005 11:35 schrieb Euler Taveira
de Oliveira:
What about an museum.postgresql.org to keep the old releases?
That gave me a good laugh, but there is something to be
said about moving all
no longer supported releases (according to the criteria
that are being
discussed) to an unmirrored site, say, archive.postgresql.org.
That would be fairly trivial ... let me add it to the 'todo list' ... I take it that it would be safe to relegate the /pub/source/OLD stuff there too?

Not so trivial to put behind a web interface or the download tracker
though. Is it really necessary to have a separate archive downloads
site? It's not like the old ones get in the way, or cost anything other
than disk space on the mirrors to store (and I've only ever heard mirror
admins say how small our site is compared to many others!).

Plus of course, weren't we trying to reduce the number of VMs/sites?

Agreed. I see no virtue in this at all. If we continue to make stuff available it must be because someone will need it. I can see that happening if some catastrophe happens on an old system, in which case the person hunting is likely to need to find it easily and possibly fast.

The network traffic involved in mirroring something that doesn't change is usually trivial, and disk space seems to be at most a few $ per Gb these days, so surely this is not a resource issue.

cheers

andrew

      match