Hannu Krosing wrote:

Ühel kenal päeval, P, 2005-12-11 kell 17:55, kirjutas Carlos Moreno:

Hi,

I'm very new to this list -- I've been using and advocating PostgreSQL for
no less than 4 or 5 years now, and have participated in some of the other
mailing lists, but never on this one.

My question is (short version):  how would one go about adding a new
(built-in) function to PostgreSQL?

Ask your question as a separate post, not as an answer t another
thread :)

I know...   Sorry -- My brain must have temporarily shut down when I was
posting.  Wrong subject, wrong link to the rest of the messages...  :-(

My "feature request" (which again, I'd like to implement it myself) would

be the ability to do:

select sha1('xyz'), sha256('etc');

(At least these two -- maybe for completeness it would be good to have
sha224, 384, and 512, but I guess SHA1 and SHA-256 would be a very good
and sound starting point)

Take a look at the pgcrypto contrib module (in src/contrib/pgcrypto )

Not only does it show how to add functions, but it also provides many of
the ones you need.

Ok.  Will do.

Thanks for the pointer!

Carlos