I too have to deal with this issue daily since I deal with Windows daily.  It
sounds like the source of the csv files were originally Excel files. I have
never been able to figure out how Excel determines to quit putting null values
in empty columns after X rows and resume again later on.

If the file has less than 65000 rows I would suggest using OpenOffice 2.0
instead of Excel.  OpenOffice does not stop filling the empty columns and with
2.0 it now supports the same maximum number of rows that Excel does.

I use Perl constantly to "reformat" files and import them as a csv using the
COPY command.  I think the original poster would prefer a php solution though...

While it is not a problem for me I do have other less technical users who don't
know perl and this makes postgres much more difficult for them to use.  Most of
them come from a M$ Access background which can handle importing of Excel files
directly thus don't have to deal with this issue.

A file conversion utility would be very helpful for supporting Postgres with
Windows especially if it could handle Excel files in their native format.

Mike